The Gustav Mahler Youth Orchestra will arrive in Al Ain on Thursday, 24th March to perform the next stellar concert in the wonderful Abu Dhabi Classics 2015/16 series…
“Founded in 1986/87 by one of the most prominent conductors of the last decades, the late Claudio Abbado, the Gustav Mahler Youth Orchestra (GMYO) has been able in recent years to impose itself as the world’s most prestigious Youth Orchestra, performing at major venues and festivals with leading conductors and soloists such as Herbert Blomstedt, Pierre Boulez, Myung-Whun Chung, Sir Colin Davis, Christoph Eschenbach, Bernard Haitink, Paavo Järvi or Philippe Jordan.
For its first concert in this season, the orchestra will be performing in the magical setting of Al Jahili Fort in Al Ain. ..”
More details of this fine concert are available at:-
The Schedule for the new Abu Dhabi Classics series for 2015/16 has now been officially announced.
And, Al Ain will benefit from more appearances by stellar performers than last it did last series!
Highlights of the new series include the conclusion of Jordi Savall’s tour of the U.A.E. with Hesperion XXI. The grammy-award winning Savall will maintain the theme of “Ibn Battuta: Voyager of Islam” begun last year with an open air performance in Al Hamooda Fort on 25th November.
- The City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra (above photo) returns to Al Jaheli Fort on 9th December with the promise of performances of hits from 50 years of James Bond 007 movies.
- On 14th January there will be a “Spanish Night” under the stars at Al Jaheli Fort – including the music of Manuel de Falla – with the arrival of the Sinfonica de Galicia with star pianist Javier Perianes.
- Pianist Martha Argerich performs at the Al Ain branch of UAEU along with Kremerata Baltica on 3rd February. Expect works by Shostakovich and Mozart to be on the programme.
- The Gustav Mahler Youth Orchestra will perform Bartok’s Second Violin Concierto and Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony on 24th March in Al Jaheli.
- And, finally, the China Philharmonic Orchestra with Long Yu and Jian Wang will appear at the UAEU, Al Ain, on 10th May.
For more information on the Abu Dhabi Classics series 2015/16 go to:-
Posted in Uncategorized
- Tagged Abu Dhabi Classics series 2015/16, China Philharmonic Orchestra, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, Gustav Mahler Youth Orchestra, Hesperion XXI, Javier Perianes, Jian Wang, Jordi Savall, Kremerata Baltica, Long Yu, Martha Argerich, Sinfonica de Galicia